The Unity of Christian Believers across Scotland
On the 30th of November 2013, St Andrew’s Day, ‘The StAnd’ launched a year of prayer by praying for unity in the body of Christ across Scotland, echoing one of the last prayers of Jesus to his Father before he went to the cross. When we are united in love and purpose in spite of our differences, then the world will take note and believe.
For full details on how to register for the year, and for more information about The StAnd,
The stand Weekly Email
If you sign up to receive a regular email, each week you will be encouraged to use specific Bible passages as the basis of your prayer. As we pray God’s word back to him, we can be confident that he will hear and answer.
This extract from the Prayer Call from week one is by Lynne Paterson,
Director, Tearfund Scotland.
Suggested Prayer Topics:
* Start by asking God to show you if you have anything against a Christian brother or sister, including offences. Bring this to God in prayer. Even if you were the victim, consider how you have been forgiven and repent for holding onto any grudges or bitterness. * If another believer has something against you, follow the biblical pattern of Matthew 5:23-24 and go to them to put it right with them as soon as you are able.
We can’t pray for unity if we are in broken relationship with another part of the Lord’s body.
* Pray that God will empower Christian leaders to pray and work together in unity across towns and cities in Scotland.
Mention your own leader by name, and others you know, and pray specifically for your locality.
Thank God for the places where this is already happening and ask for his blessing on it.
* Pray for the Lord to bless each minister and congregation with wisdom, unity and a passion for Jesus
“Be completely humble and gentle; be patient, bearing with one another in love. Make every effort to keep the unity of the Spirit through the bond of peace.”
* Pray that the whole body of Christ in Scotland would be overflowing in love for one another,that we would honour one another and speak well of each other.
* Ask God to show you ways you could strengthen Christian unity in your church and town or city. Write down any ideas that come to mind and pray about how to go about implementing them.
“I pray also for those who will believe in me through their message, that all of them may be one, Father, just as you are in me and I am in you. May they also be in us so that the world may believe that you have sent me.”